Friday, May 13, 2011

Yet another appendix scare

I think I am almost caught up on sleep after spending all night Wednesday at the hospital.
My 14yo son didn't feel well and stayed home from school Wednesday.  By that evening he felt well enough to eat 8 chick fil a nuggets and an ice dream cone.  Then he felt like playing basketball in the driveway after we got home. When bedtime rolled around his stomach ache was suddenly back.  He started rolling around on the floor moaning and groaning about his stomach.  I told him to go to bed.  30 minutes later he was thrashing around the hallway.  I told him to go to bed.  Another 30 minutes and he was running up and down the stairs and thrashing around the living room.  I told him to go to bed.   I am by no means unsympathetic, but I had been up in the middle of the night for 3 hours just a week ago with what I imagined was this same stomach ache.  I had also taken a child to the Urgent Care center 2 weeks ago for a very similar stomach ache that was caused by constipation.  So while 14yo son was thrashing around and yelling about his stomach I calmly explained all of this and told him to try using the bathroom. This cycle repeated a few times with the drama increasing each time.  At one point I said "You do not have a fever and you are not throwing up and there really isn't much I can do for you." And then a little later, "I can give you some Pepto or Mylanta if you would like but I don't think it is going to help."  I kinda wish I hadn't said that part.  He opted for the Pepto....Pepto is pink.  I also should have listened when he smelled it and said "no, I changed my mind I don't want to take anything." But I persisted and he took the Pepto....did I mention Pepto is pink?  I walked out of the room and no sooner had I gotten to my bedroom did I hear him throw up.  He had a bucket in his room just in case this happened.  However, he did not throw up in the bucket.  He threw up 6 inches from the bucket....all. over. the. floor... it was pink.  He then proceeds to run to the bathroom that is farthest away from his bedroom...all the way downstairs.  The closest bathroom is the one the boys share and it is always nasty and no one wants to throw up in a nasty bathroom and I guess I was blocking the way to the second closest which was my bathroom and I sometimes get mad at them for using my bathroom because I don't like to sit in pee.  As I'm downstairs helping him all I can think of is how I sure hope the dog does not go into his bedroom and how I don't yike Fo Up thanks to a post I read earlier that day on Holy Mama's blog about Fo Up and dogs eating vomit being in the Bible...which it is.
Even though I'm thoroughly frustrated  with the pink vomit not in the bucket tracked down the stairs I'm thinking this is gonna be good because now 14yo will have some relief and hopefully get to sleep.  Not so.  He is still in horrible pain, so I decide in order to not be the mom whose kid had his appendix burst because she didn't think he was that sick that I will take him to the ER.  
We arrived at 12:20am.  They felt his stomach, listened to it, put in a line for an IV, took blood and ordered an Xray.  By 3:30am the doctor decided there was nothing seriously wrong and we could go home with a prescription for nausea medicine and rest.  The nurse came in with all our paperwork and took out the IV which had not been used except to draw blood.  She offered to go ahead and give him a dose of the nausea medicine before we left.  In a shot.  In his butt.  He said yes please.  After watching him move over to the bed to get ready for the shot, she decided to go talk to the doctor, who decided that we should go ahead and do a CT scan to be safe.  I'm thinking ok that won't take long because this place is deserted.  I was thinking wrong.  They needed to use contrast dye for the CT which requires drinking some nasty stuff and letting it move through your system......FOR TWO HOURS!!  They also had to insert another IV to give him saline solution and some pain and nausea meds.  After that they moved us into another room because the TV channel in the room we had been in could not be changed without standing on a chair and I had been watching Shepherd's Chapel for 3 hours.  New room, new TV show, and feel good meds for ds so he was able to sleep.   The two hours passed quicker than I thought and we headed down for the CT scan at 5:30am.  Around 6am the doctor came in and said everything looked normal on the CT so we could finally go home.  I got home just in time to start the next day....And the carpet in 14yo son's bedroom.....stained PINK!

1 comment:

  1. oh MAN. that is... awful. i can't take pepto because i'm well aware that if i do... carpet will turn pink. poor guy. what a night!!

    ReplyDelete