Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer

The school year has ended! No more getting up at 6:30am! No more worrying whether my boys will make it through the day without getting in trouble. No more dropping off and picking up at 2 different schools every day. No more scheduled activities for my kids for 7 hours a day...
Now what am I going to do?
I have spent the last two weeks running from school to school attending awards (yes my kids actually got awards) ceremonies and field days and end of year parties and sock hops and band concerts and checking kids out early because they "aren't really doing anything the rest of the day anyway."
Even though I was busy, at least my kids were too.
It is suddenly HOT - 95 degrees yesterday.
Our neighborhood pool is closing - not happy about this one.
We bought a slip n slide on Friday - it was broken 30 minutes later.
We also bought water balloons - they are all gone.
There was a family fun fest in town on Saturday.  It had bouncy houses and a spider jump - all for free! It ended with a concert by a Jimmy Buffet tribute band. We spent alot of time there and I am really sunburned, but the free fun for the boys and entertainment for the adults made it worth it.  They gave away free beach balls at the festival....I have confiscated 4 of them.  
Last night my boys had a friend spend the night - we are not doing that again.  He ran around yelling that he was gonna go crazy if he didn't get apple juice and then collected money off of the floors of my boys rooms and hounded my 20 year old son until he agreed to go to the convenience store and get him apple juice with all of the dimes and nickels he had found.  Then they woke everyone up at 7am.  I posted a comment on my facebook about not having anymore sleepovers and his mom called him and made him go home...same mom who wouldn't let her kids play with mine 2 weeks ago.  
One neighbor still won't wave at me when I go in and out of the neighborhood.  That's okay, one of my bad influences got a certificate from his teacher for most improved behavior and the assistant principal gave him a $20 Burger King gift card and said he was the "turnaround student of the year" out of the entire school (over 800 students.)
So 3 days into the summer and 2 1/2 months to go.  With a week of vacation with me and a week with their dad plus his weekends I figure that's about 45 more days for me to figure out how to fill.  When I was a kid we went outside and found stuff to do on our own.  Why is it my kids can't do that....without getting in trouble?

1 comment:

  1. HEY! Congratulations totally in order for the Turnaround Student?! AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete