Friday, May 27, 2011

And I thought no TV was bad...

2 big things happened last night.
1. The power went out.
2. My 14yo had a tantrum.
Normally when our power goes out it is either only out for a half hour or less or it goes out during the winter when ice has weighed down the pine trees and one of them falls on a power line.  Last night was neither of those.  We had a small thunderstorm.  There were no tornado warnings or even watches, no hail, no heavy winds.  Just some rain, light wind, thunder and lightening.  There was no loud boom or bang and when we drove up the road to see who had power and who didn't, there were no trees down, no car accident, no power crews working.  The street behind mine still had power.  These are the things you can't do when the power is out (and yeah I tried them all:)
Turn on the light in the windowless powder room.
Watch the small TV upstairs...not even a dvd.
Turn on the bedside lamp.
Use the fan.
Look at the thermostat to see just how hot it's gotten since the air stopped.
Get water out of the spout in the freezer.
Charge your cell phone.
Make your kids behave. 
Which leads me to the second big thing that happened.
My 14 year old had a tantrum.  This is not new.  He has had them before.  I call them tantrums for lack of a better word.  Sometimes they actually look like what you would see a 3 year old do but magnified.  Sometimes they are different and a better word is probably episode.  This one was more like an episode.  But it all stemmed from not getting what he wanted and anger at receiving consequences for misbehavior.  The tantrum/episode started shortly after the power went out.  It was still light outside so we were all hanging out in the living room because  it has the most windows and they face west.  After being told to leave the cat alone several times 14 yo picked him up yet again and held him until he meowed and growled.  He is working on earning back privileges and has to go 5 days without cussing, hurting others, or being disrespectful to me before he gets his phone back.  I promptly let him know that this day was not going to count toward those 5 days. That's all it took.  He started by yelling and cussing and threw a couple of things, then wrote the word Fuck on his stomach and ran around the living room in his underwear chanting "fuck fuck fuck."  At this point I took the younger boys upstairs to my room and locked the door.  When we got up there I also realized that they could not watch a movie in my room like I had planned.  It was around 7pm.  For the next 3 hours the little boys played on the total gym, drew pictures and cut paper while 14yo son yelled, banged on the door, went out onto the roof and banged on the windows, found an unlocked window that is above the foyer and threw things into it, ran around the house with a broom speaking gibberish, and was generally obnoxious.  But he did not break anything and he did not put any holes in the wall.  I was in and out of the room several times making sure everything was ok and 14yo remained safe.  Finally at 10 I told the younger boys to go ahead and go to sleep in my bed and blew out all the candles, left one electric one on and locked them in the room.  I went downstairs to sit in the dark.  14yo followed me down there and crept around trying to get my attention for about an hour.  Finally he said, "you know what, I'm done" and went to bed.  I slept on our 4 foot 8 inch couch since there were kids in my bed.  I'm 5'3".  It was uncomfortable, and hot, but I don't know how hot because the thermostat is electric. Finally, at 3am the power came back on.  I checked the freezer and everything was still frozen and the milk in the fridge still felt cold. All was well again at my house...for the moment....

1 comment:

  1. oh MAN. that just sucks every last bit of energy out of a mom, to endure an episode like that... i'm sorry. sounds like you did really well.

    ReplyDelete