Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Learning to Enjoy Life

I feel like i need to learn to enjoy life.  It's not like I work all the time and never have time to relax and enjoy myself.  Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.  I'm home all day and haven't had a "real job" in 15 years.  It's more that I don't tend to just enjoy what is happening at present.  I'm always looking to the future or waiting for the next thing to happen.  I'm a very project oriented person....whether it's planning a vacation, researching a purchase (I can't buy anything without checking reviews and comparing prices), or looking into a new diet plan, exercise program, or housecleaning routine.  And as soon as the vacation is over, the purchase is made, or I tire of the diet, exercise, or cleaning, I'm back in a slump.  Most of the time enjoying life translates into lazyness for me.  Lately I've been addicted to the Casey Anthony trial so yesterday I just enjoyed watching it and playing games on my computer and catching up on blogs.  Unfortunately that meant I didn't really get anything else done and then I felt guilty and went into furious planning mode.....because I can't just do something without fully preparing for it first ya know.  Gotta make a list of all the things that need to be done and then prioritize them and then...well then it's time to cook dinner and then clean up the dishes and fix dessert and get the kids settled down.  And then I'm exhausted and some sort of reality TV show is on and I just want to sit down and relax and enjoy it but the bills didn't get paid and laundry didn't get done and the cat pooped in the bathtub and I never went back over the spot where the dog peed on the carpet so even while I'm sitting there watching mindless television, I'm not really enjoying it.  I'm thinking about what I need to do next.  So I'm going to do my best to try to enjoy whatever it is that I'm doing and not worry so much about what I'm not doing or what I need to do next.  However, if i don't get the bills paid, I won't be enjoying TV, or hot water, or electricity, or phone service.....

No comments:

Post a Comment