Monday, June 27, 2011

French fries in your ears?

A friend of mine recently got her associates degree from a local community college and I attended her graduation.  The graduation was held in an arena that also hosts sporting events and concerts.  I was surprised when we arrived that some of the concession stands were open. I was even more surprised after we sat down when a couple came and sat down on our row with hot dogs and french fries.  I just don't think about eating hot dogs and french fries at a graduation ceremony - or any other food for that matter.  They did not however appear to have any of the beer stands open.  I was intrigued by the people sitting next to me munching on hot dogs and french fries while graduates were marching into the arena.  At one point I noticed the man appeared to have a french fry stuck through his ear and I had to wonder if it was just a weird piercing or if he had actually stuck one of his french fries through there in case he got hungry later. I really wanted to take a picture of it but I thought that might be a little rude.
Before they got started with the ceremony they asked everyone to please remain seated so that people behind them could see and to silence their cell phones so as not to disturb others.  They forgot to announce that crying babies should be taken to the lobby and that you should not let your child sit in your lap and kick the person in front of you in the neck.  Not that it would have mattered since I could hear cell phones ringing and the people in front of us were standing up blocking our view as the graduates marched in.  Maybe if I had had a hot dog and french fries I wouldn't have cared.
The ceremony was very long and didn't end until 9:15.  They asked everyone to please remain seated while the graduates marched out.  At 9:30 when the last graduate had left the floor, I think my date and I were the only ones remaining in our seats.  We went in search of my friend, congratulated her, took pictures and then headed out to find something to eat.  Now I know why they were selling hot dogs and french fries at the ceremony.  Because it was a Thursday night, most of the local restaurants closed at 10pm.  By the time we got to our car and out of the parking lot and to a restaurant it was after 10.  I was starving and beginning to think the dude with the french fry in his ear may have had the right idea.  Eating at the graduation that is...I'm still not sure storing french fries in your ears is sanitary. In the end we did find a restaurant that was open and we didn't starve. 
And my friend is moving on to a 4 year University to pursue her bachelor's degree so that she can go on to help kids with behavioral issues like mine.

3 comments:

  1. you are a very, very good friend.

    what a weirdo that guy is!? was it stuck THROUGH one of those Ear Hole Things? (I just don't get those)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should have taken a picture and posted it here for research purposes. Anyone who sticks a french fry through their ear deserves to have people take pictures of them. Not rude at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, stuck right through where most people's ears are pierced but it was one of those larger gaged piercings...I have enough trouble with regular earrings, no way I could do one like that!
    Research! Yes, perfect. don't know why I didn't think of that!

    ReplyDelete