Thursday, January 19, 2012

Christmas is over

Wow...it's January!  Not just January but halfway through January.  I had all these plans to blog about our Christmas (which was really good).  And then Christmas came....and went.  Then i was sick for 3 days....like in bed did not eat, did not do anything sick.  Fortunately my boys went to their dad's at 3pm on Christmas day (I was actually back in bed by noon.)  I didn't take any calls on Monday and so did not know that my aunt who has cancer had taken a turn for the worse.  Got the call Tuesday that she had passed away.  Finally dragged myself out of bed on Wednesday to take down the Christmas tree and take my van in for service.  Thursday I headed to my parents so that I could ride with them to Florida for my aunt's memorial.  We left Friday morning and the memorial was Saturday.  She had struggled off and on with some form on cancer for 23 years.  The latest was kidney cancer which had spread to her brain and eventually throughout her body.  Through all this she developed an amazing positive attitude and "sparkle."  My cousin introduced her to a song called "Swim" by Jack's mannequin and it became her lifesong over the past 2 years.  She vowed to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment she was given.  She had positive sayings posted throughout her home and always had sparkles on her somewhere.  For her memorial everyone was asked to wear something sparkly in her honor.  Even many of the guys wore sparkle spray on their clothing.  Afterwards she had wanted a party thrown in her honor and party we did!  There was live music and face painting and balloons.  The sun was shining and the weather was perfect.


Balloons (environmentally safe) released in Carol's honor.

Slideshow tribute 

I don't make New Year's resolutions but the memorial  inspired me to adopt a more positive attitude and it just happened to fall on New Year's Eve.  I guess it's a good thing I don't make New Year's resolutions because I am struggling with this one.  Things have been really rough since I got back and my boys got home but I will save that for another post.  For now I am just trying to sparkle and swim....

No comments:

Post a Comment